You can add multiple users to the platform at the same time by using the import user function.
Before importing users to your Nosco installation, you need to prepare an Excel file with the users and the information you’d like to import or update. You can import users using any type of Excel file (.XLS or .XLSX).
Good things to know
- When importing an Excel file, make sure that all of your users are on one sheet. When a file with multiple sheets is imported, only the data from the first sheet is used.
- The first row in your spreadsheet is assumed to contain column headers. If the first row in your sheet contains a user’s data, that user won’t be imported, so please make sure there are headers for all columns and that none of them are merged.
- Make sure that first name, last name, email, and each user label is split into a separate column in the Excel file. You can use these attributes for each user:
- First name (required)
- Last name (required)
- Email (required)
- User labels
- SSO IdP ID (if your installation has SSO enabled)
You can download an Excel file example at the end of the article.
Start importing users
Now that you have prepared your Excel file, you are ready to import the users to Nosco. We will always analyse your file and show you a report of exactly what will happen when your file is imported. If the analysis detects any problems, you can always cancel and fix the errors.
Go to “People” in the admin level
Click on the “plus” button in the top right corner of the list
Select “Import from Excel”
Click the upload, or drag and drop your Excel file in the highlighted are
You will now see an excerpt showing the first five rows of your Excel file. Please verify that the content looks all right and then select the correct headers for each column.
You need to map at least first name, last name, and email
Columns that are not mapped will be ignored.
If there are more columns than can fit in the browser window, you can scroll to the right to see them.
Under advanced options, you have some optional settings available for the import:
Update users: By default, we update existing users with the data in the Excel sheet. New user labels are added, but existing labels that are not in the import data will not be removed. Names will be updated. If you choose “Skip” here, no existing users will be updated, and only those users from the spreadsheet that do not already exist on the site will be added.
Previously deleted users: If your sheet contains data for users that have been deleted from your installation, you can choose to either restore their accounts or skip them.
Click next once you have mapped the columns, and you will be presented with a report of what is about to happen, including any problems that have been detected.
If all looks good, click “Import” to finish, or “Cancel” to abort.
Remember to add the users to the right campaigns and send them invites to join the platform.
File import report errors
The following are import problems that you may encounter:
- No identifier — When columns are missing an email, or for SSO-enabled sites where emails are not required, when neither an email nor an IdP ID was offered.
- Invalid emails — When columns contain incorrectly formatted email addresses.
- Duplicates emails or SSO IdP IDs — When the file you are importing contains the same email address or SSO IdP ID in more than one column.
- No identifier — When columns are missing
- Multiple targets — When a column contains both an email and an IdP ID, but the installation already contains a different users for each of those.
- Multiple sources — When two columns each contain an email and an IdP ID, and they both match a single existing user on the installation.
- Missing names — When the first and last name fields of a column are both empty.
- Updated – The file you are importing contains updated information some users.
- Unchanged – Refers to users already on your platform, and all the uploaded information was identical.
- Skipped – Means these users will not be imported